I was asked by one of our biggest supporters to create a page with some insight behind the meanings and inspirations for our songs. While I personally want our listeners to be able to take what they want from the songs, based on their own experiences, I realize that some people want to know more about the background behind the songs. So here it is… Cheers, Fuchsia
Abstracted Visions 2008:
1. Out of Control – The first verse of this song was actually written while sleeping. I woke up and scribbled the words down, from out of a dead sleep. This is about how drugs can damage a person’s brain and ruin people’s relationships.
2. Transmissions – The chorus of this song was inspired by a Hermann Hesse book “Strange News From Another Star”. The lyrics are about listening to a song on the radio. It also alludes to receiving messages from another planet. The music video took that concept to the next level and even introduced the idea of an alien abduction.
3. Neverwhere – The title was inspired by a book by Neil Gaiman, although the song itself is about something entirely different. Neverwhere, to me, is about being blissfully in love and afraid of it ending.
4. Underwater – This song is about falling in love and a love for the ocean. The chorus was inspired by an old vintage video game “A Message From The Sea”, which can be found in the free arcade museum in San Francisco, by Fisherman’s Wharf.
5. Full Moon On a Half Night – This is a song of nostalgia.
6. Silent and Still – Mourning the loss of a loved one… The chorus was inspired by the Neil Gaiman character “Death” from Sandman.
7. Interlude – There is no real meaning behind this one, as there are no lyrics. The music is very sad and regretful to me though.
8. Blissful Escape – This song tells of a close friend’s escape from her painful reality through the use of prescription drugs, and the downsides that come along with it.
9. Coil – This song is about being in an oppressive relationship and feeling trapped.
10. Don’t Walk Away – A dying relationship and the fear of moving on.
11. A Recurring Dream – This is one of my favs on Abstracted Visions, because of its randomness and lack of any meaning at all.
12. Moonbow – This is a celebration of new love and infatuation.
1. Denial – This song is about gay rights, and human rights in general. It was written for a friend of mine who got gay bashed while protesting the anti gay marriage amendment in San Francisco. We wrote it in hopes that someday there will be equal rights for everyone, regardless of their sexual preference.
2. This and the Other – This song is literally about the process of making music.
3. Ophelia (lyrics written by Kal3id and Fuchsia) – Musically and conceptually, this was inspired by a painting that I first saw at the Louvre in Paris by Paul Delaroche. I took a print home, and she hung above my bed for years. My lyrics were inspired by Shakespeare’s Ophelia specifically.
4. A Different Effect – This song is a nod to one of my favourite quotes by Albert Einstein “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.
5. Who Knows – This is one of my favourite tracks on Synesthesia. Its about indecision, regret and uncertainty.
6. Illogical Logic – A lighthearted take on a breakup. The exact opposite of the song that comes before it.
7. No Escape – Another song that was inspired by the Neil Gaiman book Neverwhere, as well as the short horror story “The Beast In The Cave” by HP Lovecraft.
8. The Dolly Pop Song – This is definitely the most lighthearted song that we have written. Its about girls and lollipops.
9. Spiral Effect – This is about a friend who held onto a relationship too long. Its always easier to see the reality of a situation when you are not personally involved in it.
10. Unanswered Questions – This was inspired by the David Lynch movie “Inland Empire” and also a couple of existential philosophy seminars that I had attended.
11. Last Words – A song about getting rid of negative energy.
12. So Long Ago – Another song about holding onto a relationship too long.
13. The Finite One – Mourning the loss of a friend who had an untimely death.
1. Hollow Hearts – This song about old friends that have crossed paths after an extended period of silence.
2. The Biggest Lies – This is about how the government is successfully carrying out an evil plan to rip everyone off so that they can become richer.
3. Utopian Dream – This is about a bipolar relationship. We have all probably been there at one point, where one minute things are amazingly blissful and the next you want to throw it all away.
4. The Afterglow – This song is about falling in love and knowing that it is real and exactly what you want and where you need to be in your life.
5. The Wrong Way Home – This is a song about rebellion. It’s about not wanting to go home to face reality and doing everything that can be done to avoid going home.
6. Common Consciousness – This was written as a plea to a former friend to realize that we really aren’t that different inside, and that forgiveness is liberating.
7. Another (lyrics by Kal3id) – In my eyes, this one deals with the inevitability of a changing relationship, and knowing that it will not last. Although that is just my interpretation, as I am not the writer of these particular lyrics.
8. Take A Stand – About the injustice of the holocaust. It was written from the standpoint of the victims.
9. Transmissions (Live Mix) – The chorus of this song was inspired by a Hermann Hesse book “Strange News From Another Star”. The lyrics are literally about listening to a song on the radio. It also alludes to receiving messages from another planet. The music video took that concept to the next level and even introduced the idea of an alien abduction.
1. Onward – Distrust, superficial relationships, rejection…
2. Intoxicated – Being infatuated with someone…
3. Cease To Exist – Climate change…
4. A Mission – Going after what you want…
5. Don’t Wake Me Up – Being in love…
6. Effective Immediately – Breaking up…
7. Lost – Going crazy…
8. This Is It – Cherish every moment, because you never know when it’ll be your last…
9. While I’m Waiting – Being infatuated with someone…
10. Easier Said Than Done – Wanting to move on…
11. Hollow Hearts – This song about old friends that have crossed paths after an extended period of silence.
12. Without You – Ending a relationship…